- A number of books are referred to in the library, including The Hardy Boys (Fry: "too easy"), Nancy Drew (Fry: "too hard"), The Bonfire of the Vanities (Fry: "Perfect!") Moby Dick, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and Pride and Prejudice.
- The name for The Hall of Forever is probably a reference to the famous Star Trek: The Original Series episode "The City on the Edge of Forever", which features the Guardian of Forever.
- The wave of mass insanity destroying civilizations in a straight line through the galaxy is a direct reference to another Star Trek episode, "Operation: Annihilate!".
- The destruction of Tweenis 12 is very similar to the destruction of Praxis from the 1991 film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
- "The Civilization of Space Rome," one of the planets Hermes says was destroyed, could be a reference to the Star Trek episode Bread and Circuses.
- The background noise in the Nibblonian spaceship is identical to that made by the USS Enterprise from the original Star Trek series.
- By the 30th century, Stephen King titles from A - Aardvark have their own room in the library.
- The giant brain makes reference to the Dewey decimal system.
- The title is a reference to the 1951 film The Day the Earth Stood Still. The Simpsons also referenced this film in the Treehouse of Horror story "The Day the Earth Looked Stupid".
- At the pet show, there is a booth advertising "Soylent Chow," a play on "Soylent Green." The logo is a dog's head inside a recycle symbol.
- The title of the book Fry wrote is "Fry Tricks the Brain"
- On Nibbler's home planet, there is Abydos's gate address from Stargate.
- On Nibbler's home planet; one of the continents is shaped like a Heart, while the other one looks like a Penis and Testicles.
- The Nibblonian Council shares some similarities with Minbari Grey Council from Babylon 5 (cloaks, lightting, number of members).
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.