|First appearance||"The Day the Earth Stood Stupid"|
Hypnotoad is a large toad-like creature that has large oscillating multicolored eyes and emits a droning hum. His eyes glow all the time. The toad apparently uses these as a power of hypnotism on surrounding people and animals. Hypnotoad hypnotizes sheep into a pen at a pet contest and then hypnotizes the judges and the audience into awarding it first prize (see clip below). He is also known to hypnotize crew workers into committing suicide when his show is interrupted and to hypnotize people writing internet articles about ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
The Hypnotoad resembles a rather large toad with eyes that put anything that looks into them into a hypnotic trance, forcing them to do whatever the Hypnotoad wants, such as type about how ALL SHALL OBEY THE HYPNOTOAD. Its eyes have black pupils with first red, then yellow rings around them.
The origins of Hypnotoad are unknown, but it is speculated that it is an alien, mutant or a product of genetic engineering. It would also appear that it is the only one of its kind on Earth. However, it is possible that a creature similar in design to the Hypnotoad found on Kif Kroker's homeworld is part of its ancestry.
Hypnotoad also has its own television show called Everybody Loves Hypnotoad. It consists of a stationary camera filming the Hypnotoad and its noise continuously. Despite the odd premise behind the show, it ran successfully for over three seasons, possibly because it hypnotized the audience.
- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
- The sound he makes was called “Angry Machine" and was part of their editing system, as mentioned in the DVD commentary.
- Hypnotoad is one of Matt Groening's favorite characters.
- He made a cameo appearance in the trailer for Bender's Big Score where he said "Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it."
- The Hypnotoad might have been inspired by the V-frogs from Isaac Asimov's novel Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus. They are frog like, three legged creatures who can control the emotions of those around them, mostly serving as a defense mechanism against predators. A trance like that of the Hypnotoad is also possible when large numbers of V-frogs are working together. Due to their emotional control, they are extremely popular as pets.
- The Hypnotoad can be seen in The Simpsons opening sequence of "Treehouse of Horror XXIV". It was directed by Guillermo del Toro.
Internet popularity Edit
- There are many people who have not watched Futurama but are still familiar with the Hypnotoad from internet forums, where it has practically achieved meme status. It is sometimes a surprise to these people, when they start to follow the series, that Hypnotoad is a comparatively minor character.
- The line "ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!" used by the judge of the animal show has became an internet sensation and is used on many Hypnotoad video clips and images.
YouTube Videos Edit
|An example of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad|
|An example of Hypnotoad's hypnotic powers|
|Our Great Overlord in 3D/HD|
- "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid"
- "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television"
- "Overclockwise" (on a poster)
- "Decision 3012"
Special Episodes Edit
- ↑ "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid"
- ↑ "Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch"
- ↑ 'scottsmitelli.com'
- ↑ 'theinfosphere.org'
- ↑ Commentary for "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid"
- ↑ http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/03/the-simpsons-guillermo-del-toro-treehouse-of-horror/