|Planet|| Formerly: Earth|
Before death: Bumbase Alpha
|Profession|| Former television chef|
Cook for nobos
|First appearance||"The 30% Iron Chef"|
|Voiced by||David Herman|
- "As for me, I went temporarily insane and vound up here, making pies out of shoes."
- ―Helmut Spargle[source]
Helmut Spargle, also known as Spargle, was a former television chef. He was replaced by his old student, Elzar. He originally lived on Earth but ended up moving to Bumbase Alpha, a hobo planet. While there, he cooked pies out of boots for the hobos until Bender sought him out to learn how to cook. Bender's cooking caused Spargle's stomach to explode, killing him.
- Spargle may be a reference to Spago, the flagship upscale restaurant of celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck, who shares Helmut Spargle's German accent. Spargle is also an anagram of Spargel, which in German is Asparagus.
- He may be loosely based on Hans Moleman from The Simpsons.
- He is a mix between Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda from the Star Wars franchise.
- Apparently, his restaurant was so exquisite, the only way to get in was to go to an alternate dimension were you already had a reservation.
- He appeared in Into the Wild Green Yonder after his death by stomach explosion. Another character that did this was That Guy who appeared in The Beast with a Billion Backs.